[Oct 28, 2015 is the date of the next summit, to be held in Champaign. Info on the 2015 Illinois Bike Summit will be added to this page in the months ahead.]
2014 Illinois Bike Summit
Over 280 bicycle advocates and interested professionals from around the state attended the third annual Illinois Bike Summit at the I-Hotel in Champaign, on April 15. It was a a day of learning and networking, with a theme of “Advance your Agenda” to help attendees make their towns more bike-friendly! The event was co-sponsored by the League of Illinois Bicyclists and Champaign County Bikes, with help from other organizers and generous support from 14 sponsors (below).
The following speakers’ Summit presentations are available:
- Illinois Bike Summit Welcome: Champaign County Bikes vice president Rick Langlois, Ed Barsotti, University of Illinois Chancellor Phyllis Wise, Champaign Mayor Don Gerard,
- IDOT State Bike Transportation Plan: IDOT (Prezi, YouTube), Ed Barsotti (PowerPointPDF) – See links to the plan and its press release here.
- Local bike advocacy case studies: Mercy Davison, Mike McCurdy, George Fero, Jeff Yockey, Ed Barsotti
- Bicycle-Friendly Universities: Amelia Neptune
- Illinois bike trail project success stories: Glenn Ackeberg (PowerPoint PDF, YouTube), Jerry Yockey (PowerPoint PDF, YouTube), Frank Brummer (Seven Steps to Successful Trail Building, YouTube Part 1 and Part 2), Tim Bartlett (PowerPoint PDF, YouTube), Steve Buchtel (PowerPoint PDF, YouTube), moderator George Bellovics’ summary
- The Bronze Age of Champaign-Urbana: The Making of Two Bicycle-Friendly Communities
- Bicycling and the health community: Leticia Reyes-Nash, Mark Peters, Leah Dettmers, Brandon Meline
- Bicycle education and enforcement: Dave Simmons, Charlie Short, Ed Barsotti, Lt. Jim Clark
- Mountain biking in Illinois: Jerry Stoeckigt, Gina Kenny, Tim McGrath, Drew Hagen (Video from the introduction and part of Jerry Stoeckigt’s presentation is available here.)
- Life with a bike: Ed Barsotti, Julie Hochstadter, Jim Freeman (PowerPoint PDF, YouTube)
- Bike share programs – big and small: Sean Wiedel, Kevin Martini
- “Turning Complete Street Policies into Good Practices” technical training session by Cynthia Hoyle and Craig Williams (agenda; seminar)
- Check out LIB’s website for other resources (from Bike Planning to Safety Education) to help you “advance your agenda” in your town.
Thanks to our sponsors: Freeman Kevenides Law Firm LLC, Alta Planning and Design, Champaign Cycle Co., Champaign County Forest Preserve Friends Foundation, Christopher B. Burke Engineering, Farnsworth Group, Foth Engineering, General Dacey Trail, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Prairie Cycle Club, SRAM, Toole Design Group, TREK, University of Illinois